We have the power to choose how we think. When we become more aware of our thoughts, we start to notice the way we think and talk to ourselves, and then we can start to make improvements. Our thoughts create our perception and our world. If you stop allowing your mind to wander aimlessly and negatively, you will start to notice big changes in the way you feel and how your life is shaped.
If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought.
The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.
― Albert Einstein
Here are my 5 Tips to Shift Negative Thoughts to Positive Ones:
- Be Aware of your Thoughts and Self Talk- Practice being aware of what you are thinking about and how you are talking to yourself. Practice asking yourself if the thoughts are true, kind, and necessary as a filtration system to know whether you should release the thought or whether it is valid. The more aware you are, the more you will be able to decipher the fearful and untrue thoughts from the true and loving thoughts! Then my friend, you are on your way to shifting your mindset to a much more positive one.
- Replace a Negative Thought with a Positive One- When you have done step 1 and are aware of your thoughts you will be able to consciously start a practice of replacing negative thoughts with positive ones so that you don’t allow your mind to go down the rabbit hole of negativity and fear. You can start to catch negative thoughts when they start and replace them with a positive thought to bring your mind to a more neutral, loving place free from fear. This will help to start to train your mind to become more and more positive over time. For example- If you see a fire place and you think “that is dangerous, it could burn me”. Notice that you had a negative thought and that you are not in danger (which most of the time you are not and you will be aware enough to know if you really are, if you are aware of your thoughts). Replace that thought with “the fire is beautiful and I am so lucky to be near a fire place to keep me warm.” and continue to practice this technique!
- Surround yourself with a Positive Environment- Make sure your environment and the people you surround yourself with are loving and positive. Jim Rohn said, “We are the average of the 5 people we spend the most time with.” We are effected by our surroundings so the more you can surround yourself with a positive environment the better. If you focus on the negativity on the news and bad things happening in the world, that is the mindset you will have, but for every negative thing going on there is a lot of positivity if you choose to find it. You don’t want to be brought down by other peoples limiting thoughts or judgement so it’s very important to choose this carefully, and the awesome thing is, its your choice!
- Practice Gratitude and SMILE- Thinking of all the things we have to be grateful for is a great way to quickly shift our mindset and become a more positive person. Whether you write down what you are thankful for or think of things you have to be grateful for in the morning or before you go to sleep, having some type of daily practice in which you remind yourself of the blessings you have is an amazing way to shift your thinking. Focus on what you have versus what you don’t. Your thoughts are magnetic and if you are really thankful for what you have, energetically you will attract more! Smiling, even if your faking it at first, will automatically send a signal to your mind that will make you happier- try it!! People always comment and ask me how I’m so happy or why I’m always smiling and I do it to make myself happy and positive and hopefully uplift others because smiling is contagious!!
- Meditate- Meditation is like a mental shower and it clears out past thoughts that are stuck in our unconscious and subconscious mind. When we clear out those thoughts it helps a lot with mind chatter and negativity and fear that could be guiding our thoughts. If you guys need help meditating and want to get my free guided meditation- put your email in the box below. You can join my FREE Meditation 101 webinar here with tons of amazing info to tell you how and why to get started meditating or deepen your practice! Meditation will help in huge ways to shift your thoughts to a more positive place!!
I hope that helps and remember, “If we don’t go within, we go without.” -Yogi Bhajan. So when we work within ourselves to create shifts, like shifting our self talk and thoughts, we will start to notice positive changes in our outer world in huge ways! Let me know in the comments below if you do any of these tips or if you try them out let me know how it goes.